Northfield Alliance for Substance Abuse Prevention
Second Thursday of each month
Northfield Community Resource Center (NCRC)
1651 Jefferson Pkwy
Northfield, MN 55057
Agendas and minutes
|Allison Albright||Member||December 31, 2022|
|Michelle Dumonceaux||Member||December 31, 2024|
|Michael Heaton||Member||December 31, 2023|
|Stace Klempnauer||Member||December 31, 2024|
|Carolyn Livingston||Co-Chair||December 31, 2022|
|Nekeidra Morrison||Member||December 31, 2023|
|Andrea Berube||Advisory Member (non-voting)||December 31, 2022|
|Dayanara Ponciano Enriquez||Youth Representative (voting member)||2022-2023 school year|
|Ella Cooney||Co-Chair; Youth Representative (voting member)||2022-2023 school year|
|Carter Steenblock||Youth Representative (voting member)||2022-2023 school year|
|Samuel Boardman||Youth Representative (voting member)||2022-2023 school year|
Contacting the commission
If you have questions or comments, you can email the commission. Each member will receive your email. When replying to your email, a commission member cannot reply to all members, only to you. This avoids violating the open meeting law.
For general information about the board, please contact a staff liaison. Also, if you have questions or comments for the board, contact a staff liaison and they will assist.
|Meleah Follen||Staff Liaison||612-220-5302|
|Gabriel Crombie||School Resource Officer||507-663-9336|
Northfield Alliance for Substance Abuse Prevention seeks to raise community awareness about local youth substance use and to make recommendations for community interventions to reduce youth use.
As the mission of the Northfield Alliance for Substance Abuse Prevention indicates, members are "advocates for and with youth, committed to creating a community where our youth can lead healthy lives free of alcohol and drug use."
The board consists of local residents, appointed by the Mayor and approved by the City Council. There are no term limits. Members do not receive monetary compensation.
Northfield Alliance for Substance Abuse Prevention maintains an active website to keep community members updated about its work. The website also contains resources for parents/community members and information on the efforts of other local groups working to reduce youth drug and alcohol use.
Special meetings are occasionally called. If the meeting date falls on a holiday, the meeting will be held the second Monday of the month. Work groups meet in the interim months to carryout activities. For transaction of business at any meeting, a quorum of members present is required. It is desired that members make every attempt to be present at all meetings.
- Supported Northfield Public Schools in the installation and use of detectors in the middle and high schools that notify administration of vaping activity.
- Promoted "Feel Good February" with daily postings on mental health tips and tricks across social media platforms and with a school district wide mailings on how to combat "Zoom Fatigue."
- Took on underage alcohol prevention work, including a "3 out of 4" campaign at the high school that reinforced social norms that most teenagers don't drink and the "Sticker Shock" campaign at three area liquor stores that reinforced the penalties of buying alcohol for those underage.
- Supported 54 neighborhood parties for Night to Unite in Northfield and across Rice County.
- Heard from leadership at Northfield Union of Youth and the work happening there to train their staff to have interactions with youth that support sobriety and help fund trainings.
- Launched a monthly communication initiative - Talk They Hear You - focusing on parent/guardians role in preventive communication.
- Supported Northfield Public Schools in purchasing a curriculum that focuses on mental health needs and substance abuse trainings.
The mayor recommends applicants to the City Council based on their interests, willingness to serve, and background. Members do not receive monetary compensation.
You can apply to more than one board, commission or task force.
Applications are also available at:
801 Washington Street
Northfield, MN 55057
Northfield Public Library
210 Washington Street
Northfield, MN 55057