About the contest
The City of Northfield Mayor for a Day Essay Contest is a program to engage local 4th and 5th grade students in civic engagement through a written essay contest.
Announcement of winners
Mayor for a Day Essay Contest recipients will be announced and awarded by the Mayor at our annual State of the City Address.
Top three winning entries for eligible 4th and 5th grade students will receive the following award benefits:
- $20.00 Chamber gift check
- Certificate of recognition signed by the Mayor and the President Pro Tem
- News release and photo (optional with parental consent) of the recipient
- Display of winning essay at City Hall and the Northfield Public Library
- Recognition at the annual State of the City event
- Ride the City of Northfield float in the Defeat of Jesse James Days Parade
To participate in nominations and be eligible for the Mayor for a Day Essay Contest, individuals must:
- Be a 4th or 5th grade student who attends school, is homeschooled or lives within the Northfield Area School District
- Have completed the essay on their own
- Past winners are eligible
The Mayor and President Pro Tem will select winning essays.
Winning essays will be selected based on creativity, originality and legibility. Strong consideration will be given to selecting an essay winner from each school.
Deadline for essays
February 5, 2023.
Essays may be submitted online or handwritten.
Fill out an online essay
Download the contest form to handwrite your essay (PDF)
Returning handwritten essays
If you need to return a handwritten essay, return to:
Mayor for a Day Essay Contest
Communications & Human Resources
801 Washington Street
Northfield, MN 55057-2598