- City Services
- Public Works
- Current and Future Projects
- TH 246 Corridor Study - Division Street / Woodley Street
TH 246 Corridor Study - Division Street / Woodley Street
The City of Northfield is conducting a study of Highway 246 (TH 246) from Highway 3 to County Highway 1 to determine the future vision for the corridor. Findings from this study could potentially support a future turnback of authority from MnDOT to the city.
The project consists of about 2 miles of urban and rural road sections. The purpose of this scoping study is to improve the safety and mobility along the corridor with an emphasis on pedestrian and bicyclist needs. The results of this study will align with the current plans adopted by Northfield, most notably the Complete Streets Policy and Pedestrian, Bike, and Trail System Plan.
- Integrating past planning and analysis efforts into the vision for TH 246.
- Ensuring the pedestrian and bicycle facilities provided meet the needs of the area and nearby schools to tie into the overall city and regional network.
- Determining future corridor needs to accommodate future growth and development and adjusting the vision accordingly.
- Engaging the public and stakeholders to understand their issues and needs and to provide these groups with opportunities to influence the vision.
- Summarizing the study process and findings in a final report that can be used as a guide for future conversations related to turnback potential.
Ver la descripción del proyecto en español
Online Input - June - July 2023
Materials will be provided online to introduce the project and ask for public input on existing roadway conditions.
Open House # 1 - September 2023
This meeting will share alternate design options and gather public feedback on the design they prefer and changes to be made to the design.
Open House # 2 - November 2023
This meeting will share the final design and plans and implementation.
Sign up for TH 246 updates on the City's website to stay informed on project
process and engagement opportunities!
David BennettPublic Works Director and City EngineerPhone: 507-645-3006
Highway 3 signal improvementsProject will begin the week of May 1 on Highway 3 from Second Street in Northfield to Hester Street in Dundas. It includes adding emergency vehicle traffic signal preemption, flashing yellow left turn signals, and replacing standard lighting with LED. Signal improvements...
Emerald ash borer discovered in NorthfieldOn March 6, the Minnesota Department of Agriculture confirmed the first emerald ash borer infestation in Northfield. A local tree care business reported an ash tree in an area north of Oddfellows Park with bark cracks and woodpecker damage. Emerald ash borer...